Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Journal #8--Course Management Systems--NET-S (1,3,4)

Course Management:
  I decided to focus on Course Management Systems (CMS) for the Web 2.0 assignment.
  A CMS is basically software that allows an educator to create a web-based virtual classroom. I also found that a CMS is sometimes referred to as a Virtual Learning Environment, or VLE or a Learning Management System (LMS).  CMS's provide students and teachers with tools for both teacher and peer assessment, collaborative learning, collecting, organizing and grading of student's work, communication, content uploading, and tracking tools. New features in some of these VLE's are: blogs, wikis, RSS and 3D virtual learning spaces. 
  I learned that there are many Management Systems available, at varying prices, and with varying teacher reviews. Blackboard and Moodle were the two that came up the most in the Web 2.0 discussions I followed. One of the discussions I followed concerned teachers whose districts were switching from Moodle to Blackboard.  The feedback the teacher got from her peers seemed to indicate that, while Moodle and Blackboard are different programs, they are both effective and fairly easy for students and teachers to learn. In all the discussions I followed, teachers seemed to be either "Blackboard types" or "Moodle types," so I suppose it would be in my best interest, as a future teacher, to become generally familiar with various CMS's, from both the perspectives of teacher and student. 

I gathered this information using a website specifically designed to further educators' professional development.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Beth - Thanks for the great info on CMS's. I took a course at MiraCosta and used Blackboard there - fairly easy and user-friendly. Definitely a valuable tool for teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info on CMS's. I think it's a great tool. I've loved using it for our CSUSM courses. I look forward to using it as a tool when I'm a teacher. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth...It amazes me on how many resources are available in the virtual world. Great information...I will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, thanks for doing the assignment on time. It's kind of hard to comment on someone else's journal if there aren't any done yet:)
    I also used Blackboard at Palomar, and from a student's perspective, it was very easy to navigate. I also did the last half of my B.S. degree at UoP online, and found it very easy to use also. I think CSM's are the wave of the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used blackboard before so I guese I will have to become familiar with moodle. Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think CMS's are great. The courses I have taken using these tools have been among my most enjoyable and productive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your description of CMSs, it is clear and easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete